Monday, November 17, 2008

Semi Frugal Guy the Working Years, part 2

As was mentioned in my previous post, my frugal years started after getting laid off from the best job I ever had. I had to learn how to live off of much less than what I was accustomed to. And it all started with my apartment, I had a really nice place to live in Cordova, TN, on the outskirts of Memphis. I had all the toys a guy could want, from the expensive cable TV package with HBO, Cinemax and all the other movie channels, a really nice TV, my apartment was a luxury apartment or vacation style living as it was called. It was an 1100 square foot apartment on the top floor of the complex. I moved out of it a few months after the lay off, and wanted to start over again. So I made a move to Fayetteville, AR, home of the Arkansas Razorbacks, and yes I am a huge HOGS fan! I started my life out there far far away from family and friends; it was a different life for me. I rented an economy apartment and started another contracting position, this time with Wal-Mart, once again in the IT field. It was a great job, but it was another contract position and they come and go, and yes they can cancel them just as fast they began too.

The life of a Nomad!

During this phase of my life I moved and lived in various places in and around Arkansas. I felt like a nomad for a few years. But it really taught me a lot on how to be frugal. I cut back on the cable TV package, stopped eating out 3-4 times a week, spending less on groceries, and various other cost cutting measures. The one that really saved me was eating out less, you never really think of you much money you are spending eating out all the time until you sit down and add it all up.

Lunch Time

Lets take for example a normal week of eating out, if a person eats out all 5 days spending on average $10 a meal, that’s $50 a week or $200 a month on food or $2400 a year on eating out. Just think what you could do with an extra $2400. It really adds up if you think about it, and this doesn’t even mention the latte you have on your way to work. OK I know I am getting off topic here, but you can see how this adds up if you look at the numbers.

Home sweet home…..

After moving around for a few years taking odd jobs here and there, I landed in Fort Smith, Arkansas. It’s the 2nd largest city in Arkansas with around 80,000 people, a border town city on the Arkansas, Oklahoma border . I love it here, the cost of living is very cheap compared to living in and around Memphis, TN, and the town is just the right size for me, they have many activities to do in and outdoors. The outdoor activities alone are endless, we have the Ozark and Ouachita Mountains less than 30 minutes drive from my house, along with various rivers and nature trails this is an outdoor lovers dream! And yes my Razorbacks are just an hour north of here.

Once again I have a consulting job, with the chance of getting hired on full time after 18 months. With one major exception, I really love my current position. I work for Xerox Corporation, they really know how to treat there employees right, even their contract employees are treated like the full timers. But, as for right now as long as I can keep my job I will be a happy person. With all the layoffs I read about everyday, it really scares me, I’m sure there are millions of others out there with the same thoughts and worries.

One last thing, I am a single man. So any single women out there, who read this, please feel free to contact me! I hope you have learned a little more about my life and where I come from on my frugal journey through life!


Comments, criticism, useful knowledge?

No comments:

Post a Comment